Monday, April 9, 2007

VALS Survey

While updating my blog postings, paying close attention to work that I did outside of class but did not blog about (which would been an easy assignment to blog on) I came across the VALS Survey that I did for myself. Upon completing the survey, it concluded that I am an Experiencer/Innovator with my primary being Experiencer and my secondary type is Innovator.
As and experiencer, I am
motivated by self-expression. I quickly become enthusiastic about new possibilities but am equally quick to cool. I am categorized to seek variety and excitement, savoring the new, the offbeat, and the risky and my energy finds an outlet in exercise, sports, outdoor recreation, and social activities. This portion of the description of my personality is very correct and describes my lifestyle very well.
However it was described that experiences are avid consumers and spend a comparatively high proportion of their income on fashion, entertainment, and socializing. Their purchases reflect the emphasis they place on looking good and having "cool" stuff.
These descriptions do not represent me very well. This in congruency with my personal purchasing habits must be due to the secondary type of an Innovator coming into play.
Innovators are successful, sophisticated, take-charge people with high self-esteem. Because they have such abundant resources, they exhibit all three primary motivations in varying degrees. They are change leaders and are the most receptive to new ideas and technologies. Innovators are very active consumers, and their purchases reflect cultivated tastes for upscale, niche products and services.
Image is important to Innovators, not as evidence of status or power but as an expression of their taste, independence, and personality. Innovators are among the established and emerging leaders in business and government, yet they continue to seek challenges. Their lives are characterized by variety. Their possessions and recreation reflect a cultivated taste for the finer things in life.
I really identify with the description of an Innovator, but with some characteristics of the Experiencer, the description is more complete.

No comments: